Tuesday, 22 April 2014

Shoebox Apartment in Singapore

While I have said before that 'small' is an arbitrary word, there are some cases where a living space is ubiquitously deemed as tiny. One of the cases I encountered with is the shoebox apartments of Singapore.


Shoebox apartments are one of the trends in 2011. They have a size range of 100 to 500 sq ft, which is around the size of three parking lots.

Due to small size, the price of these units are comparably lower than their larger counterparts. They are usually located near city centers, where land price is high.

However, when you calculate the price in relation to the land area, shoebox apartments are actually more disadvantageous, as the cost per sq ft is higher.

The fact that the size of shoebox apartments are half the size of normal houses have garnered many critiques on them being inhumane and not suited for people to live in.

My opinion:
I don't actually think that shoebox apartments are bad, as long as they are well designed in a way that it won't look small or cramped.

I have mixed feelings on the way the price per sq ft is actually more expensive than regular apartments or houses. I understand that this is a way for investors to gain money and they are merely doing their job. On the other hand, this is making it more difficult for people who are tight on money, and most people who wants shoebox units are probably not that rich.

Conclusion:
Shoebox apartments may be a possible solution, but they need to be integrated with good and effective design.


No comments:

Post a Comment